DirecTV Sports Networks[edit | edit source]
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia 
DirecTV Sports Networks (formerly Liberty Sports Holdings) is a unit of DirecTV which consists of four regional sports networks: Root Sports Pittsburgh, Root Sports Rocky Mountain, Root Sports Utah, andRoot Sports Northwest. The group was formed in 2008 when Liberty Media completed its purchase of these networks from News Corporation as a result of a stock swap for NewsCorp's stake in DirecTV.
On May 4, 2009, DirecTV Group Inc. said it would become a part of Liberty's entertainment unit, part of which would then be spun off as a separate company called DirecTV a satellite television provider. Liberty would increase its share of DirecTV from 48 to 54 percent, with Malone and his family owning 24 percent. The resulting company would own the Game Show Network, FUN Technologies and three regional sports networks that had been part of Liberty. The Dan Patrick radio and TV shows were acquired by DirecTV and became part of The DirecTV Sports Networks in October 2009.
It was split off from Liberty Media and renamed DirecTV Sports Networks on November 19, 2009.
In 2010, Liberty Media owner John Malone exchanged his Class B shares in DirecTV (a 23% voting interest in the company) for an equivalent amount of Class A common shares, thus ending Malone's management role at the company.
On April, 1, 2011, the three FSN affiliates owned by DirecTV re-branded under the new name Root Sports. The timing of the change coincided with the opening weekend of the Major League Baseball season, as the Root Sports channels have broadcasting deals with their region's MLB teams, the Pittsburgh Pirates, Seattle Mariners, and Colorado Rockies. 
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Yao, Deborah (4 May 2009). "DirecTV, Liberty Media Detail Spinoff Plans". Associated Press. Retrieved 4 May 2009.[dead link]
- ^ Liberty Sports Rebrands As DirecTV Sports Networks - Liberty Transaction Triggers New Name For Group FSN NW, Pittsburgh, Rocky Mountain Multichannel News November 20, 2009
- ^ DIRECTV Completes Malone Exchange Transaction, DirecTV press release, February 25, 2011
- ^ DIRECTV Sports Networks Will Rebrand FSN Pittsburgh, FSN Northwest, FSN Rocky Mountain in Spring 2011 Pittsburgh Penguins official site December 17, 2010
[edit | edit source]
- View history
- Main page
- Featured content
- Current events
- Random article
- Donate to Wikipedia
Interaction[edit | edit source]
Toolbox[edit | edit source]
Print/export[edit | edit source]
- This page was last modified on 10 September 2011 at 15:33.
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization.
- Contact us